Fahrenheit 451


 A friend of mine recently wrote in a witty blog post that having a book collection may hinder his chances of getting a job. 

That reminded me of a book I read a few months ago. In "Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books," Paul Collins tells the story of how he left San Francisco to move to Hay-on-Wye, a small Welsh town that is famous for being the "Town of Books" (it boasts 1,500 inhabitants and 40 antiquarian bookstores) (The book, by the way, is a lot of fun, especially if you are a book lover like me). 

When Collins tries to sell his house in the US before moving to Wales, his real estate agent pays a visit to look around his flat. 

"You have too many books in here. Home buyers don't like books."

He saw my expression, and shrugged helplessly. "Really. You should hide them."

My wife would gladly chuck my book collection. She says it takes up too much space. Considering the size of Japanese houses, she may have a point. And yet, I would rather lose a piece of my right little finger.

What do you say? Not enough? 

*****

Speaking of jobs, Japanese kids now seem to love the new normal, and say in the future they want to become office workers

***** 

In other news, my publisher swears that my long-suffering book, Otaku Japan, is coming out this June!!! (Round of applause). I just hope readers will like the cover.

***** 

People unite! And subscribe! I mean, seriously.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts