Analog vs. Digital


My new mail mate Robin Tomens made this work

He made it while listening to Kraftwerk. He also says that it's been ages since he played an album on vinyl as he has become a slave to Spotify. 

I've never tried Spotify myself because I got hooked on YouTube first. Like Robin, I listen to albums on the internet that I have on CD or cassette tape (you remember tapes?). 

Back in Italy, I used to have a sizable vinyl collection. Not massive, but I had a few hundred records. Alas, I had to leave them behind when I moved to Japan, and there they remained until I finally sold the whole lot. 

You can't imagine how hard it is to sell vinyl unless it's rare and highly collectible. I wasn't aiming at getting rich with my humble records, but still, some of the offer I got from professional vinyl peddlers were just embarrassing. In the end, a couple of guys I met through my sister paid 600 euro for the collection. Not bad for me, and a great bargain for them. 


While I couldn't bring my records all the way to Japan, I managed to smuggle quite a few tapes including the David Bellatalla Archive (not pictured above) comprised of prog rock treasures and other strange, sometimes hardly definable music. 

My friends call me archaic but I see nothing wrong with listening to tapes. Some of them have even suggested that (1) I get rid of the tapes, (2) find the same albums online and (3) download them on my computer. 

How crazy is that?  


This is a more recent picture. Because you see, I may not listen to my friends, but the fact remains that I have no space left to stock new books. So I'm gradually replacing the tapes with the books. 

It's rather sad but what can I do. 



Comments

Popular Posts